Experiences With Ubuntu 14.04

Hi all,

I finally managed to install Ubuntu 14.04, when 15.* is out there in the market, thanks to the unsuccessful upgrade I tried on 10.04 (Stone Age as mentioned in my previous post).

I wanted to reinstall Chrome because it constantly showed some Gmail  Ceritficate issue. The Delete button for the Gmail certificate was unavailable, which could have been easier for me removing and adding, if it were available.

I accidentally "Completely removed" Chrome, and was unable to install it later, as the dependencies were unavailable and hard to find. That called for a system upgrade.

I may have removed important repositories while trying to fix the Chrome issue. The upgrade wasn't successful and the Synaptic Package Manager constantly showed broken packages. Since the correct repositories weren't there, I couldn't fix it. So, the next option was to reinstall the current version or the next highest stable version. I decided to go for 14.04 and downloaded the ISO for 32-bit system. A live CD would have been easier, but as a work around, I burned it on my 2GB USB drive.

After booting the live Ubuntu 14.04, I found it different. It gave a pop-up with a list of keyboard shortcuts. Then, obviously there was a side panel, Synaptic Package Manager was now Ubuntu Software Centre, there was an Ubuntu icon triggered with the Windows key on the keyboard, etc. I noticed the Windows drives were easily mounted. Firefox was pre-installed.

I decided to go in for installation. But I thoughtfully checked the available disk partitions before starting the installation to be sure where to install it.

The installation guide was very easy and user friendly unlike the earlier versions I had used. After the language selection, it gives you the option of upgrading the current version without affecting your data, a fresh installation of Ubuntu 14.04 after erasing your Ubuntu data, and a complete erase of the total disk before installation. I decided I would go for a fresh 14.04 installation and erase all the data in my Linux partitions.

The next steps asked me to choose my timezone, keyboard layout, and login and password details. When I clicked on Next, it prepared my system for the installation and erased my data. After a timezone selection and , it took me right to a screen with the installation progress bar. The installer is now clever enough. Unlike earlier versions where you had to make partitions and select your Linux partition, the 10.04 installer skipped all the hassle and went straight to the installation. After a reboot, I got the purple Grub menu which was very neat.

Ok, now that 14.04 has been installed, let me share my experiences with this version. After 1 day of installation, I was constantly getting a pop-up message System program problem detected. I browsed through a few forums and youtube videos, and came across the following solution.

1. Open a terminal, and type at your prompt.

varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ cd /var/crash/
varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ ls -l
varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ sudo rm *.crash


This removes the old crash reports.

2. Again type the following command.

varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ sudo editor /etc/default/apport

Alter enabled = 0 to enabled = 1. Save and exit. Press Ctrl + X. It gives you the option of entering Y or N. Type Y and press enter when it prompts you for the file name. Just press enter without making any changes to the filename. After a reboot, you should be good to go.

This is not really a very desirable solution, as you are asking the OS not to give you any crash reports. But you are saving yourself annoying crash report pop-ups.


Comments

  1. My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find the majority
    of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.
    Do you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write
    concerning here. Again, awesome site!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment