File Sharing On Linux DC++

Last year, I faced a problem regarding the sharing of files on Linux DC++. I had shared the minimum size of data, and as per my knowledge, met the requirements needed to use the particular hub. But, every time I started the software, the shared size showed zero, much to my surprise and disappointment . :( I had to keep sharing every single time I used Linux DC++.

However, my problem was solved within the next day. :)

Shreyank Gupta helped me solve my problem. I was somewhat new to Linux, and did not even know the basic commands. He asked me to go to my home folder and use pwd to see in which directory I was working in currently. I did the following.

varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ cd /home/varsha
varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ pwd
/home/varsha
varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ cd /home/versha/.dc++
bash: cd: /home/versha/.dc++: No such file or directory
varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ mkdir .dc++
mkdir: cannot create directory `.dc++': File exists
varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ cd /home/varsha/.dc++
varsha@varsha-laptop:~/.dc++$ ls
ADLSearch.xml Downloads files.xml.bz2 Incomplete Queue.xml
Certificates Favorites.xml HashData.dat LinuxDC++.xml
DCPlusPlus.xml FileLists HashIndex.xml profile.lck
varsha@varsha-laptop:~/.dc++$ echo "" > files.xml.bz2
varsha@varsha-laptop:~/.dc++$


But this did not help. I closed Linux DC++ and started it again, but the shared file-list showed all the filed and folders with a 0GB against each of them.

Then, he asked me to start sshd.

varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ service sshd start
$sshd: unrecognized service

Since sshd wasn't working, he asked me to copy-paste the list of files in .dc++ directory once again.

varsha@varsha-laptop:~$ cd /home/varsha/.dc++
varsha@varsha-laptop:~/.dc++$ ls
ADLSearch.xml Downloads files.xml.bz2 Incomplete Queue.xml
Certificates Favorites.xml HashData.dat LinuxDC++.xml
DCPlusPlus.xml FileLists HashIndex.xml profile.lck
varsha@varsha-laptop:~/.dc++$


After changing directory, he asked me to change the mode of the files shared.

varsha@varsha-laptop:~/.dc++$ chmod -R 777 *
varsha@varsha-laptop:~/.dc++$


So, changing the mode of the files solved my problem. I removed all the files from the share list and then shared again. Then, on closing and restarting Linux DC++, the size of the shared folders showed up in the list. :)




Comments

  1. which dc-client s/w are u using in ur 9.04 version
    plz help I'm not able to install any of the dc-clients


    I'm from NIT JSR

    ReplyDelete
  2. @narendra: Hi. Really sorry for the late reply. I hadn't seen your comment. I am using Ubuntu 9.10 now, and the current version of linuxdcpp (name of the software) is 1.0.3. You can install it from the Synaptic Package Manager (System-> Administration) or from the terminal, using the apt-get command. Hope this helps. You can contact me if you have any problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OS ubuntu 13.10. linux dc++ is not showing filelist of some users please help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and my team was in search of a rarely found platform which can help us for our new assignment. We are writers and its been a long time we are in this writing field. So we would appreciate help of this blog.HPE Aruba AP ANT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment